If something has gone wrong on your trip and you need to make a claim, you must register your claim with us within 30 days after completion of your trip. To make the claims process as quick as possible, there are a number of things we will need you to provide:
- Original invoices, receipts and other vouchers relating to your loss or expenses. It is up to you to provide proof of ownership of any lost, stolen or damaged items and we are not obliged to make payment without proof of ownership.
- Your Certificate of Insurance.
- Any supporting information We may require.
Lodging you claim is easy, click here to download a claim form.
For any enquiries in relation to entitlement to claim under your policy, contact:
NZ: Phone: +64 9 355 3072
Fax: +64 9 355 3135
Outside New Zealand: +64 9 359 1645
8.30am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)
How we will handle your complaint
We recognise that occasionally mistakes or misunderstandings can happen. If you wish to lodge a complaint, we will:
- Acknowledge receipt within 5 business days of receiving your complaint.
- Give you the name and contact details of the person handling your complaint.
- Ensure that someone experienced who has not been handling your case fully investigates your complaint.
- Respond to your complaint within 10 business days of the date we have all the information we need to determine your complaint.
- Where further information, assessment or investigation is required, we will agree reasonable timeframes with you. If we cannot agree on reasonable timeframes, you can contact our independent external dispute resolution scheme about those timeframes.
- Update you at least once every 20 business days, or another such interval as we may agree with you, until your complaint is resolved.
What should you do if you have a complaint?
What should you do if you are not happy with our response to your complaint?
If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, you can request to have the matter reviewed by our Internal Dispute Resolution Committee (“Committee”). The Committee is made up of AIG New Zealand management with the experience and authority to decide on matters brought before it.
You can request a review by the Committee by contacting the person who signed your complaint response letter. To assist the Committee in reviewing your complaint, please provide your reasons for requesting the review. The Committee will provide their decision with reasons within 15 business days of receipt of your request to refer your dispute to the Committee.
AIG Internal Dispute Resolution Committee
The Chairperson IDRC
AIG Insurance New Zealand Limited
The AIG Building
PO Box 1745
Financial Services Complaints Limited
If your complaint cannot be resolved to your satisfaction through the Committee within 40 business days of when you first lodged it with us, we will provide you with a ‘deadlock’ letter so you can take your matter to the Financial Services Complaints Limited (FSCL).
FSCL is a free and independent body approved by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs. AIG New Zealand will comply with any decision made by FSCL.
Use of the FSCL scheme does not preclude you from subsequently exercising any legal rights which you may have and if you are still unhappy with the outcome, we strongly recommend that you obtain independent legal advice.
If your complaint does not fall within the Terms of Reference of FSCL, we recommend you to seek independent legal advice about options that may be available to you.
AIG is a member of the Insurance Council of New Zealand and supports the Fair Insurance Code. A copy of the Fair Insurance Code may be obtained here.